Re: Random ideas about systemtap dependencies

Roland McGrath wrote:
> A general answer is that systemtap is intended to have many flavors of
> probes, with the level of things like kprobes being an implementation
> detail used by some probes.  The present prevalence of kprobes in the
> implementation of systemtap probes will not necessarily always be the
> case.
>
> Specifically, are you talking about compiling with -pg?

No, KFT uses -finstrument-functions

> So in short, it's doable and fits fine into the larger scheme of things.
> There is a fair bit of work you'd have to do, but it doesn't inherently
> clash with what we're doing.

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure I'm going to do anything,
but it's interesting to think about.  Especially since I've
been thinking about how different tracing systems can
leverage each other's work.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Electronics