Re: BZ#2421 - removing duplicate probe handlers

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 12:01 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> > > I've been looking into BZ#2421 this week while waiting for people to
> > > look at the kernel patch.  [...]
>
> OK.

> > [...] So, should function duplication removal work globally or only
> > per probe specification line?
>
> I imagine it working globally.  I believe what we need is a variant of
> the compiler optimization known as "value numbering".  It could live
> in a new optimization pass within semantic_pass_optimize.  It could
> compute a hash value for every function & probe-handler from the
> bottom up (requiring a new staptree-related visitor, and include
> referent-names and parse tree types).  Multiple functions &
> probe-handlers with the same hash value could be duplicate-eliminated.
> (In the case of functions, all the callers of one of the duplicates
> would be redirected to a single one.  In the case of probe handlers,
> their probe_location would be merged.)  (With the addition of a
> parse-tree-comparison visitor, one could eliminate the slight risk of
> a hash collision.)

(Wow.  I've got to learn to stop asking Frank what seem to me to be
simple questions - I always seem to end up with lots more work...)

> This should supplant the target-variable flavouring magic for dwarf
> probes.

Hmm.  Would it make sense to keep the current flavouring magic as a sort
of "pass 1" attack at removing duplicate probe handlers?

> Does this make sense?  It's a little more ambitious, but want to give
> it a try?
>
> - FChE

It makes since in a vague sort of way.  I'll give it a try and look into
it.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com