Re: Meeting minutes 20060727

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
"Jose R. Santos" <jrs@us.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]  One of the things we are currently working on is to have an
> alternative to gettimeofday.  [...]

Josh Stone's kprobes-safe rendition gettimeofday has been in the
systemtap runtime for some time now. Is that not sufficient for
your purposes?

The goal here is to improve performance. Gui Jian has timed _stp_gettimeofday_us() using LKET and it give a bigger overhead than do_gettimeofday(). By doing this in user space we can obtain better performance by avoiding disabling preemption or calling seqlock like _stp_gettimeofday does.

-JRS