Re: pre-compiled systemtap modules (try 2)

David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> writes:

> [...]
> > Instead of "-P", why not have stap just realize it's been given a module
> > and it automatically does the right thing?
>
> Hmm.  You do have a point here, because with the patch it is possible to
> do something like stupid like "stap -P foo.ko bar.stp".

We should consider separating the compile / run front-ends into
separate programs entirely, perhaps by promoting and renaming stpd
("staprun")?  This makes sense further because we will want to make it
possible to install only a small subset of systemtap itself on a
deployment machine in order to run a pre-compiled script.

> > Why not "-S [dir]" so that the current directory is the default?
>
> That is certainly possible [...]

Actually, not really, with getopt.  A flag must or must not take a parameter,
otherwise it leads to parsing ambiguities.