Re: precompiled probing scenarios

Hi -

dsmith wrote:

> [...]

Nice work, thank you!  You might want to taunt people with some speed
improvement numbers too.

> [...] The hash is computed using the following data:
> - gcc's path, size, and mtime
> - stap's version and compile date

In addition or instead of this, could include a hash of /proc/self/exe
content and/or stat info (like gcc's), for us developers.

> [...]
> Note that currently several tests in the testsuite fail after a first
> run to seed the cache because they don't expect to see the skip from
> pass 2 to pass 5.

How do you mean they fail?  -p3 or -p4 should still work.

> [...]
> - Set a maximum cache size and expire old modules.  Is this needed?

We can include a shell script ditty for that.  I wouldn't bother put
the logic into stap proper.

Regarding the choice of cache directory name (".stap_cache"), that's
OK if we don't anticipate anything other than cache files to have to
live under $HOME.  But if we want to undertake cross-instrumentation
along the lines I proposed, we'd need at least a few more non-cache
files (for host descriptions for example).  If so, then .stap_cache
should be nested as .systemtap/cache instead, so that other data files
may live under .systemtap/.