Re: Supported architectures

Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:

Hello,

Currently Debian package for systemtap builds on all release
architectures, but I think it is not useful on some of them. So, I am
going to drop support of those architectures.

I cannot find list of supported architectures in systemtap's source or
website, so I'll try to guess.

O.K, good feedback we will try to add a section on the web site to indicate supported architectures, thanks.

src/runtime contains the following files:
stack-x86_64.c
stack-ia64.c
stack-ppc64.c
stack-s390.c

We also support regular 32bit x86.

Are that all of supported architectures?

Do you have interest for any other architectures support?

Is it possible to use systemtap
on 64-bit ppc system with 32-bit userspace (including stap, staprun,
lket-b2a ...)?

I believe one should able to run 32bit user space tools although kernel has support only for 64bit PPC. Guanglei can you confirm if b2a tool works fine if built in 32 bit mode? Ananth/Amit have we tested 32bit user space tools support for systemtap?

Although IBM usually recommends building user space tools in 32 bit mode even for 64bit PPC kernels for performance reasons in this particular case we don't see a big advantage of it, so if you want to support only one version of user space tools you can choose to build all the user space tools only in 64bit and no need to build 32bit.

stack-s390.c contains code that prints registers content
using 16 hexadecimal digits. Is it really support for s390x? Or both?
Is it possible to use 31-bit version of stap with 64-bit kernel in this
case?

Yes technically it is possible to use 31 bit user space tools with 64bit kernel but systemtap is not tested that way at this time. As Dave replied you only need to carry 64bit user space tools for systemtap on s390 at this time.