Re: marking tapset files

Vara Prasad wrote:

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Hi -

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 08:14:11AM -0700, Mike Mason wrote:

I like the idea of adding the comment. Mechanical enforcement would be even better. Perhaps a keyword at the top of the file that marks it as part of a specific tapset. [...]

That's a possibility.  Short of language extensions though, the
translator could parse the tapset scripts first, then warn about
duplication.  Heck, it could even track the visited dev/inode pairs in
struct stapfile, and know if the same file has been seen twice.

- FChE

Yes, translator can find out if same file is visted twice but with that can we give a meaningful error message to the user. I think what is needed here is when someone tries to execute a tapset they should gate message saying you can not execute a tapset library directly, similar to an error message given if we execute a library file. It would be even better if we can do something with our naming so that users can say the difference between the library and the end user script and avoid doing that mistake in the first place.

Hi Frank,

Any resolution on this. I had to deal with two users in the last week who ran to this very problem of directly executing tapsets as scripts. My proposal would be let us change the extension of tapsets as .tap and scripts to remain as .stp, any objections to that. Next step we could enhance translator to give better error messages.

bye,
Vara Prasad