Re: stap and make/gcc in non standard path

Michael Obster wrote:
Hi,

I have some problems with running stap on teh target platform. There is a special env for using make and gcc which are installed in a special path.
Both are found in /opt/systemtap/bin.

ENV-variables PATH is set to /opt/systemtap/bin... and LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/systemtap/lib... and calling make or gcc from the bash is working.
But running stap gives me following output:
Pass 3: translated to C into "/tmp/stap9yRfaI/stap_7e3d55ff1395fd977a6bf1687b589136_445.c" in 10usr/0sys/5real ms.
Running make -C "/lib/modules/2.6.10_mvlcge40_sit-omm01_V1.1.3/build" M="/tmp/stap9yRfaI" modules V=1
sh: line 1: make: command not found

Looks like stap doesn't recognize the env-variables? How I can set this or is this a bug? Creating symlinks or installing under /usr is not possible on the target.

You are correct, systemtap overrides the path to '/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' for security reasons.

My quess is that you are some sort of an embedded environment where the compiler isn't actually there and you are trying to NFS mount it.

If that is the case, one possible solution to your problem would be to build your module on a system where the compiler is installed in the proper place, then transfer the module over and run it with staprun. Note that the compile system doesn't have to be running the same kernel as the target system, but it does have to have the target kernel installed (and then you'd use the stap '-r RELEASE' argument).

Another possible solution to your problem is modify main.cxx to add in your special compiler directory to our override of PATH.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com