Re: Accessing probe info synchronously

Lasse Bigum <zenith@zenith.dk> writes:

> [...]
> Yes, we are aware of the constraints on the runtime of each probe, and
> also of the constraint on the sizes of arrays.
>
> We initially thought about implementing the entire IDS by the way of a
> SystemTap script, but after learning of these constraints, it seemed
> like a bad idea.

Both the run time limits and array sizes are deliberately configurable
quantities.  What one doesn't get to hack around is the atomicity
requirement for kprobes-based probe handlers.

> [...]  So I guess my initial question still stands: Is it possible
> to get notified by SystemTap/use SystemTap as library, when a probe
> is fired? [...]

Well, how would you like to receive that notification?  Given that
typical systemtap probes can't *wait* for your application to receive
a message and respond, what would you have in mind?