kprobes on by default in 2.6.20.1 kernel.org kernels

I just wanted to probe (har har) to see if you guys knew why kprobes is set to "Y" (in the kernel) by default on the latest 2.6.20.1 kernel I got from kernel.org. I don't consider this a great move and am a little worried about it. For one thing, I know now we'll actively make certain it's off in all future kernels we build that are intended for production machines.

I grabbed the latest kernel to do some kprobes testing, went to configure it to turn probing on and was very surprised to find it on by default.

What's the process that the kernel maintainers go through to determine which options are on by default anyway?

Thanks!

--
-- Nathan
Correspondence