Re: kprobes on by default in 2.6.20.1 kernel.org kernels

You know, it's not really me that has a problem with it. I subscribe to the camp of: If it requires root to run a probe, then someone who has root can already do some pretty nefarious things to your system. However, due the fact that with kprobes you can slip in a probe, and then even hide that probe from being reported, I think some people I work with are scared that it leaves them slightly more exposed / vulnerable.

I'd love to be able to convince them to let me run probes on production systems but at this time they're relegated to test machines. Honestly I'd like to be able to add to my repertoire a good argument to allow kprobes on by default on these machines but when you're dealing with security plans and documents and whatnot a new technology like this is easily deemed scary, unknown, and just relegated to the "security risk" column.

-- Nathan
Correspondence
Nathan DeBardeleben, Ph.D.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Parallel Tools Team
High Performance Computing Environments (HPC-4)
phone: 505-667-3428
email: ndebard@lanl.gov