Probing for Zombie Processes?

I love the SystemTap wiki, by the way. The war stories are great - I encourage more of them! :)
On that note, I am having a problem with processes going zombie on me - more often than I normally am used to and thought SystemTap might be useful in this regard. But, before I dive into it:

1: has anyone dug into looking at zombie processes?
2: anyone have any insight into what might be good areas to probe with respect to this
3: can anyone think of a better / easier tool that I should look into instead?

I'm hoping I might be able to record something more useful than just "PID xyz went to state=zombie".

--
-- Nathan
Correspondence