Re: SystemTap questions: user/kernel communication & pass compiilation options to module build

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Hi -

Dave Nomura <dcnltc@us.ibm.com> writes:

I was thinking more along the lines of linking in an archive (*.a or
*.so) of C routines that could be shared between a SystemTap
implementation and a non-SystemTap implementation. [...]

  I can't think of a good reason not to permit
additional .a/.o's to be included in a systemtap module.  SOme issues:

- the .a/.o files need to be built to be perfectly compatible with
the target kernel. It is rare to do this via means other than
actually shipping sources and compiling them on the fly, which is
tantamount to the embedded-C method I already described.
Good point. I hadn't given these issues much thought. Perhaps the most reliable and easiest way of ensuring compatibilty is to #include of the embedded C source code as you suggested earlier. Is there a way to pass an -I<path> option to the module builder? I tried this but it didn't appear to work. Would I have to use INCLUDE_PATH?
- buildrun.cxx would have to be taught to include references to these libraries/objects in the module makefile
- licenses need to be compatible if the combined result is to be
distributed
- some headers will need to be shared too in order for the systemtap
code to be able to refer to the stuff in the .a/.o

Dave Nomura
LTC Linux Power Toolchain