Re: streaming output options

Martin Hunt <hunt@redhat.com> writes:

> [...]
> Let me explain in more detail.  Perhaps I am missing some options, but
> these seem to be the options we have.

> 1. A single file that contains the data.  Can use with "cat",
> third-party apps. To do this, merging must be in the kernel. That
> means some blocking must occur.  [...]

With double-buffering, this may not need to happen too frequently.
The processors could write into alternating buffers of their own.  The
read() handler of the hypothetical combined file could quickly switch
buffers (so the processors keep on writing into private, uncontended
areas), and then merge from the ones it borrowed.

> 2. Per-cpu files that are merged into a single stream in
> userspace. [...]

> Anything else?

How about *both*, activating in-kernel merging only if userspace opens
the combined file.