Re: access pointer and global variables

David Smith wrote:
I agree with you that this might be implementable, but is it what you would really want? In a return probe would you want the original value of $prev->pid or the current value (assuming the function changed the data pointed to by $prev)?

I'd guess that most times you'd want the current value.

That's a hard question to answer, because it can easily go either way. For strace-like scripts, you generally want to say "this function with these arguments produced this return value" -- so you want the original values. But there are certainly times when you want to see how the arguments were updated.

For a lot of cases, I think the arguments aren't modified, so it wouldn't matter when you read them.

I think we can either find a way to do both, for the best flexibility, or else pick the one that's the most sane (implementable? matches most users' expectation?) and document how it works.

Josh