Re: SystemTap on Ubuntu 7.04 i386

darrell pfeifer wrote:

On 07 Jun 2007 10:51:17 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:

Peter Bach wrote:

> [...]

> The real value is that SystemTap is not only useful for solving > problems in during the development cycle, but illuminates how Linux > works under the covers, in the most dynamic way, when it is actually > running. This is much more useful that perusing the code. The target > audience for this is only every CS student on the planet.

Yeah - mind if I quote you on that? ;-)

- FChE

I teach a commercial Linux system internals course. Last year I added a lab to the course that introduced the students to SystemTap.

At one point we spend several hours learning how to write a loadable
module in order to trace some system data structures. Afterwards, I
show them how to achieve the same result in a few lines of SystemTap
code.

thanks to all the SystemTap people for an invaluable tool.

darrell

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for such kind words, feedback like this motivates us to make this tool better everyday.

I would also appreciate if you can share any experiences on using the tool what works and what doesn't work. Please also share with us any interesting scripts either you or your students have written or you want us to write.

You can take a look at Scripts and Tools webpage on the wiki at the following link
http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/ScriptsTools

bye,
Vara Prasad