Re: Fedora 7 based Systemtap LiveCD for i686 machines

Moving this thread to the systemtap list...

William Cohen wrote:
Mike Mason wrote:
Hi Will,

I tried the live CD on another Windows-only laptop and had no problems rebooting back to Windows. I did it several times. I guess we shouldn't worry about it for now.

Hmmm. All the machine I have are dual boot, so I can't verify this problem. I guess we won't worry about this.

For those new to this thread, I had a problem a couple times when I ran a live CD on a Windows-only system. The live CD ran fine, but I couldn't boot back to Windows. However, my latest test worked fine. We've had no problems with linux-only and dual-boot systems. We've decided not to worry about this for now. It's not clear it's a real problem. Plus it's unlikely OLS attendees will bring Windows-only laptops.

I noticed that the sockets tapset doesn't contain the fix I made that allows it to work with later kernels. If we can't include a later systemtap rpm, then I'll just update socket.stp with my examples rpm. Does that sound okay? I'll also probably install the tutorial-specific examples under /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.5.13. I'd like to get people used to looking there.

Yes, just be sure to have an example that works. We can put all the examples together in an rpm.

Will do.

I was going to ask if we could include the kernel source and cscope, but I realize that's out of the question. The kernel source alone is 437 MB!

Regards,
Mike

The source is already in the debuginfo rpm. However, I don't know about getting the cscope information in there. It isn't in an rpm. Generating the stuff on the fly probably won't work too well either.

I don't see any source coming from the debuginfo rpm. Where is it located?

-Will

PS could we take this discussion to the public mailing list?

np, moving to the public list as of this message.

Mike