RE: version control system

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Are people generally happy with cvs?  If not, we could add bridges to
> mercurial or git or even replace cvs outright.

If nothing else, moving away from CVS will help things like reproducing
snapshots.  It is very convenient to have a revision/commit-id that
uniquely describes the entire tree, which most other SCMs support.

I generally dislike CVS, but I've been making do with my own local git
import.  The import is actually pretty simple to create and keep sync'ed
(git-cvsimport), but committing changes is not well integrated
(git-cvsexportcommit).  If we publish a git "mirror" of CVS, I think
we'll have the same commit issues to deal with.

Subversion is nice because it's not too different for those used to CVS,
and git-svn is well integrated for people like me who enjoy DSCM.

If we are willing to fully jump to DSCM, the I vote for git, but only
because I haven't tried any others (mercurial, bazaar).  We could even
run a git-cvsserver for the dinosaurs to use. :)

Josh