Re: staprun:init_cap:73: ERROR: cap_set_proc: Operation not permitted

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 11:14 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> hunt wrote:
>
> >> staprun:init_cap:73: ERROR: cap_set_proc: Operation not permitted
> > The kernel needs to be built with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
>
> To what extent could we accomodate kernels built without capabilities?

With a few changes, we should be able to enable root users to use
staprun on kernels without capabilities enabled.   With more work we
could probably make it work for stapdev and stapusr too.  It will be
messier and you would lose the extra safety that capabilities provides.
I don't know how significant that would be.

Martin