Re: Using markers

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in getting traces of the SPU scheduler in the Cell
> platform.  SystemTap seems like an excellent candidate to take those
> traces but I'm having some trouble getting it to work as I need.  Using
> probes at function entry/exit points works in most cases, which is
> great, but some of the functions I'm interested in tracing are declared
> as static and therefore the debugging information lacks some details to
> access such as, for example, their parameters.
>
> So I've considered using markers as the documentation explains, but I
> cannot get them to work.  Based on bug 4446, I understand that the
> CONFIG_MARKERS support that is in Linux 2.6.23 is not yet supported by
> SystemTap (even though I did try them), so I tried to use the macros
> defined in stapmark.h as shipped by SystemTap's Git repository.  But
> those don't seem to work either.

We should probably remove stapmark.h since we don't support it.

> Here is what I added in the probe's point:
>
> trace_mark(spufs_bind_context_new, "spu %d ctx %p", spu->number, ctx);
> STAP_MARK_NN(spufs_bind_context_old, (int64_t)spu->number, (int64_t)ctx);
>
> And here is my test stp file:
>
> probe test.new = kernel.mark("spufs_bind_context_new") { name = "new" }
> probe test.old = kernel.mark("spufs_bind_context_old") { name = "old" }
> probe test.* { log("marker ".name." hit") }
>
> But then, when running stap on this script, none of the two markers can
> be found.
>
> Am I doing something incorrectly?  Do I have to apply some kind of
> unofficial patch to either the kernel or systemtap?
>
> Thanks, and kudos for this great tool!

Systemtap supports the latest markers patches from the lttng project
(<http://ltt.polymtl.ca/>).  I've tested the latest cvs systemtap with
<http://ltt.polymtl.ca/lttng/patch-2.6.24-rc2-lttng-0.10-pre23.tar.bz2>
and
<http://ltt.polymtl.ca/lttng/patch-2.6.24-rc3-git1-lttng-0.10-pre33.tar.bz2>
The current version appears to be:
<http://ltt.polymtl.ca/lttng/patch-2.6.24-rc3-git3-lttng-0.10-pre36.tar.bz2>

In the version I'm using, markers look like the trace mark example you
listed above.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com