Re: Adding provide to systemtap.spec for systemtap-testsuite rpm

Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
Hi,

William Cohen wrote:
Some people may notice that systemtap-testsuite rpm does not install without "--nodeps" because systemtaptestsuite requires "stap", but nothing provides it. The one line patch add a provides to the systemtap rpm and allows the systemtap-testsuite rpm to be installed normally via rpm.

Instead of that, how about adding stap filtering rule to __find_requires macro?

Hi Masami,

What would be the advantage of changing the __find_requires macro? Allow systemtap-test rpm to be installed by developers doing testing of locally built systemtap without needing the systemtap rpm?

Any comments about the patch? Go ahead and check it in? Or does anyone have better ideas on how to eliminate this issue?

I'm not completely sure why it requires 'stap'. When I built it, the systemtap-testsuite package built with bundled_elfutils required stap, but without bundled_elfutils, it did not required stap. So, I think it is caused by a special filter defined in systemtap.spec when bundled_elfutils is enabled.

-Will

Thank you,

I haven't seen that effect without bundled_elfutils stap was not required. However, I see that there are some lines that fiddle with the __find_provides.

The rpmbuild process scans through executable files to find out which interpreters are used by various scripts. There are a number of scripts in the tests that begin with:

#! stap

The scanning picks out the interpreter, "stap" and makes it a dependency for systemtap-testsuite.

So does it make sense to install systemtap-testsuite without systemtap? If systemtap-testsuite should be installed with systemtap, it seems like the explicit provides would be reasonable.

-Will