Re: my notes from the tracing workshop

Thanks for the notes, Andrew. Good summary.
I posted mine here, including my slides:
http://blogs.oracle.com/ezannoni/

elena

Andrew Cagney wrote:
[The slides get published next week]

Overview

The underlying goal of the workshop was to gather information on the current state of tracing and monitoring technology, and identify areas of potential research and development. The Canadian Government is looking to significantly further research in this area; and is preparing a report.

Broadly the talks had an embedded bent, which isn't surprising given its organizational origins in the telco industry. There was a wide level of representation though with both large system, and deeply embedded viewpoints being presented.

The Technology

For most talks, the assumed approach was

then on the host; or in user land:

$LOG -> <converter> -> "DB" -> <visualization>

so I'll talk to that.

Probes

That there were two technology camps (modified kernel, and dynamic probes), with the majority in the former group. Interestingly, the embedded players strongly indicated that deploying the modified kernel was acceptable (even advantageous) - the systems were permanently running in flight-recorder mode so they were in a better position to do postmortem analysis.

The exceptions were SystemTAP and SensorPoint (Wind River) (and on the edge, frysk). Both SystemTAP and SensorPoint and the same basic approaches. SensorPoint did have a djprobe like mechanism working, and nested(?) probes (where you could specify the call chain required to trigger the probe - it worked by watching the functions and not by looking at backtraces); finally the ability to replace code on live systems.

Finaly, the big and positive thing on probes was that the kernel markers being accepted. Oracle(Elena) identified that a lacking feature was being able to query the list of possible probe points -> embedding markers in the code (and hopefully having them documented in situ ????) will address this. On the other hand, I picked up a few concerns (outside of presentations): who gets to back port this (if at all); its an ABI, who gets to maintain it long term; and what happens when someone refuses to accept markers in their code :-)

Filters

This is where SystemTAP and SensorPoint stood out (I think :-). Both have the ability to filter events before pushing them to the recorder. Using SystemTAP on the kernel markers should be a wicked combination.

[Can I assume that, when there's a marked up kernel, SystemTAP inserts jumps instead of traps? If fche had been giving the talk, it would have been my question :-)]

Recorders and logs

Zzzzz.

Converters

The consistent approach was to implement some sort of converter that could load random external file formats and load them into an internal form.

While there seemed to be a push to standardize on log-file format, I got the impression that it was solving the wrong problem (and others two). Size really did matter.

"DB"

There was a strong consensus that the "internal" format of the log data needed to be a fast light weight database; two vendors were using sqlite for instance (TPTP the eclipse tool didn't but I suspect will shortly). Wind River presented a discussion illustrating its advantages.

There were suggestions, and it appears a strong degree of consensus, of standardizing a database format, so that could be shared amongst visualization tools. I think this, and the conversion tools will gather traction. Something SystemTAP should monitor.

Visualization.

Many visualization tools were presented (if I see another useless full-screen snap-shot in a slide I'll scream), most built on eclipse, but a few were not. While this is a very crowded market, there seems, in mnsho, to still be a need for clear simple visualization tools backed by a databse.

The quote of the day, in describing eclipse, has to be "icon diarrhea".

A few of the Talks

Me / Red Hat: SystemTAP / Frysk
(I got to do both talks).
What's the status of SystemTAP on the ARM?  Ditto for Frysk.

Robert Winsiewski / IBM: Performance analys and debugging at IBM
It was as much about IBM as a few other companies Robert had worked for; it have a general history of logging challenges in a number of companies. Strongly in favor of the marker approach; and set that as a theme. Two notable ideas were non-locked logging (the in-memory log file format handled synchronization using atomic instructions); and sharing memory logs between user and system.

Elena Zannoni / Oracle: Tracing at Oracle
Presented the challenges with using SystemTAP in a "binary only / clean room" environment.

Beth Tibbits / IBM: Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform
Underneath they are using a consolidating process that then, in turn, talks to a distributed collection of gdb processes (makes you cry :-); this basic approach is described in Bevin Brett's paper on making ladebug HPC. There's work to generalize this, see http://scalabletools.org/

Andrew McDermott / Wind River: Developing OS-agnostic visualization tools.
Discussed the "DB" approach for managing all that data.

Felix Burton / Wind River: Sensorpoint Technology
Wind Rivers rough equivalent to SystemTAP.  Use "C" for the probes.

--

I was asked if SystemTAP is supported on arm (have e-mail address if fche you want to contact them).