Re: user instruction tracing patch?

The Perfomance Inspector group, who currently host the ITRACE tool on, are interested in exploring the use of Systemtap to build their ITRACE tool on RedHat. In an effort to jump start them I am planning on submitting my user instruction tracing patch to them and helping them build an ITRACE RPM that does userspace level instruction tracing as well as some other functionality that they are interested in. This does not diminish our commitment to getting this functionality into Systemtap, but is more of a temporary measure. In the long term I envision the basic userspace instruction tracing functionality integrated into Systemtap, and PI possibly building on this framework to support some of the other features that they are interested in.

I should be able to start doing the Systemtap translator work as soon as I finish up helping with the PI effort. Since I am a SystemTap neophyte I am hoping to get some guidance from you, the Systemtap community, and hopefully with local help from Jim Keniston.

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Hi -

So what do you think the next steps are to move forward on this issue? Did you have some expectations on who would do this translator work?

We need that famous "someone" to do the work. Would you like to try it? It should not be much harder than (say) the timer.profile implementation.

From your discussion it sounded like some of these issues were more
general than just instruction tracing. Are there plans to do any of
that work?

Yes, some of them are underway.

Dave Nomura
LTC Linux Power Toolchain