Re: [RFC] SystemTap FAQ

Srinivasa Ds wrote:
Literally, just the questions as of now :-)

Please add any questions we've missed; more importantly, please attempt
to answer a few of them too.

Once answered, this will live in the SystemTap wiki.

I have put up the SystemTap FAQ page in wiki, http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemTapFAQ.
Please go through it and feel free to add questions(along with answer) to improve it further.

Thanks Srinivasa DS

Hi Srinivasa,

Thanks for the FAQ. I have some comments about the FAQ (maybe some comments on how SystemTap handles some of the things in FAQ).

1) Seems like systemtap should be able to handle lack of proper debuginfo more clearly. It should be possible to distinguish between non-existent debug information and incorrect/inconsistent debuginfo. The strip files from the rpms have tags to debug file name.

2) Why doesn't systemtap attempt to search for
   /usr/modules/`uname -r`/build/vmlinux?

4) Also mention the -k option to save the resulting stap directory.

17) For RHEL5 can use "yum --enablerepo=rhel-debuginfo" to get debuginfo.

18) What happens when someone forgets the "-p4" option?  bz#2725 can
    cause machine to crash. Are there going to be purpose built
    options in systemtap to print out this information?

-Will