Stap option to specify location of kernel binary

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 02:54:08PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > The answer was that the "make install" in my kernel only installs the
> > > vmlinuz image in /boot, where systemtap needs the vmlinux one (no gzip
> > > compression). Hope this will help someone else.
> >
> > Good point.  I may have had to do that too, just forgot all about it.
>
> We look for vmlinux in /boot/vmlinux-`uname -r` (or that subdir under
> /usr/lib/debug).  This is not any kind of standard file name AFAIK, just
> something I thought would be adequately convenient for people installing
> hand-built kernels.  We also look for /lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux
> (really finding /usr/lib/debug/lib/...), which is where FC/RHEL kernel rpms
> put the unstripped vmlinux.  We could provide an option to specify where to
> look for the kernel binary.

It would be good to be able to tell stap where to look for the kernel
binary, now that we now allow non-root 'stap'ing.

It is quite possible that a non-root user running stap on a machine with
custom built kernel would want to use stap by specifying such an option.

Thoughts?

Ananth

PS: Apologies for replying to a 30 month old email :-)