Re: Bug: duplicate marker entry in Modules.marker

Roland McGrath wrote:
I think modpost always merges the contents of the old file.
This is necessary for the separate runs for vmlinux and each module.
Perhaps the run for vmlinux should wipe the file.
But I'm not sure off hand that modpost will always be run for
each .ko in that case.

Yes, modpost will re run in building for every module.

For .ko, there are two cases:

 1. In kernel source tree, some stuff which are configured as M:
   Define marker in module -> "make modules" -> Modify -> "make modules"
      there are two entries.

 2. External module, such as probe module generated by staprun.
   Define marker in module -> Build -> Modify -> Build
   there is only one entry. In fact, another Module.markers exists in
   the module dir.

So I think just only to empty the file in the run for vmlinux is not
enough. "make modules" need to keep the marker entry in vmlinux and regenerate
others.

Regards.
Wenji