Re: [OT] Re: [patch for 2.6.26 0/7] Architecture Independent Markers

Hi Denys,

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 14:34, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>>> for heaven's sake, we can have 3 years of _full Linux kernel history_,
>>> with all 87875 commits, with full changelog and dependencies and full
>>> source code included, packed into a rather tight, 180 MB git repository
>>>
>>> [ and then i havent even begun about the on-disk footprint of this
>>>   monstrum, after the packages have been installed: an additional 850 MB.
>>>   Puh-lease ... ]
>> Thank for Moore's law and all storage engineers, nowadays we can buy
>> an 1TB(=1000GB!) HDD with less than $300!(I also surprised...)
>> And many other compressed filesystem can be used for saving disk space.
>
> This is not a valid technical reason for creating bloatware.
>
> Bloatware's main problem is not a cost of storing it or
> downloading it. The main problem that over time it becomes
> an unmaintainable monstrosity nobody is willing to deal with.
>
> I would rather try to find and fix a bug in 2000 lines of C code
> than in 200 000 lines.

If it is a program code, you're right.
However, the debuginfo is just a set of data files generated from
c-source code by the compiler, so you don't need to maintain it.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com