Re: HACKING file: proposed addition

Jim Keniston wrote:
> I propose appending the following text to the "test suites" section of
> src/HACKING.
>
>   To run a particular test or set of tests, do:
>     cd testsuite
>     make check RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
>   or
>     make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
>   For example:
>     make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp
>
> The last paragraph of HACKING says:
>   Proposed changes to these guidelines should be discussed on the
>   mailing list.
> so please discuss away.

I'm fine with adding the above.

One additional note here is that those paths are relative to the
testsuite source directory.  If you've configured in a directory other
than the source directory, you still use the paths as above.

That's probably confusing, so let me illustrate with an example.  Let's
say you do a build not in the source directory, like this:

# mkdir build
# cd build
# ../src/configure
# make

When you go to run a single test, you'd do the following:

# cd testsuite
# make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp

You would *not* do this:

# cd testsuite
# make installcheck
RUNTESTFLAGS=../../src/testsuite/systemtap.string/strtol.exp

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com