Re: unsafe in _stp_init_kernel_symbols

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:51:38AM +0800, Wenji Huang wrote:

> The function is executed in running time. Maybe the runnning kernel doesn't
> match the debuginfo. The kernel symbols are incorrect.
>
> So there will be danger of kernel oops. for example in such statement:
>
>     /* Use the seq_file interface to safely get a list of installed modules
> */
>     res = modules_op->start(NULL, &pos);

A printk() just before this statement is the last one to be printed out
before the crash cited in 6646. I wouldn't be surprised if this is
indeed the culprit. (Planning to investigate this further today).

The crash there is a NULL instruction pointer implying possibly a function
pointer type call. Further, during my debugging, modules_op extracted
out in symbols.c doesn't match what's available in /proc/kallsyms.

Ananth