Re: release-0.7-rc1 announcement suggestions

Mark Wielaard wrote:
>>> - Configure now accepts --enable-staticdw, which alters the link
>>>   settings so they work with static libdw.
>> This was true, but no longer.  If I'm not mistaken, the
>> '--enable-staticdw' configure option is now gone (the configure script
>> automatically figures this out now).
>
> Right. I changed it to the more generic:
>
>   - There is no need anymore for a separate/bundled elfutils. Any recent
>     elfutils installed on an up to date GNU/Linux distro should be
>     detected and used automatically by configure.

I'm not quite sure that's correct either, depending on your definition
of "up to date".  RHEL5 still needs a bundled elfutils.

If I remember correctly, the '--enable-staticdw' option was for the case
where one distro (ubuntu?) delivered a static library for one of the
elfutils libraries.  Now the configure just does the right thing by
default for the case where a distro has all dynamic elfutils libraries
and a mixed set of dynamic and static elfutils libraries.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com