Re: [RFC] systemtap: begin the process of using proper kernel APIs (part1: use kprobe symbol_name/offset instead of address)

Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> writes:

> [...]
>> > You will have to weigh that against the benefits of making
>> > systemtap generally useful for kernel developers [...]
>>
>> Understood & agreed, Rik.  If an issue arises where there is genuine
>> conflict between kernel-developer-usability and something else, we'll
>> try to solve it favouring the former if at all possible.
>>
>> (The kprobes addressing argument cannot reasonably be placed into this
>> category.)

> You have your viewpoint inverted, if the kernel developers think you
> have a problem, and you fail to address it, they will walk away.
>
> If you want the kernel people to endorse your project, you'll have
> to please them. It's that simple. [...]

We have and will try to accomodate anything reasonable.  I trust no
one is suggesting that every systemtap-related suggestion from lkml is
to be treated as if infallible, and that we can continue to debate the
wisdom of each idea on its merits.