Re: Systemtap Client/Server Update

Dave Brolley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pushed changes which will automatically start a systemtap server
> on the local host, if one is not available, when 'server' is specified
> as part of EXTRA_TOOL_OPTS when running 'make check' or 'make
> installcheck'. e.g.
>
> make EXTRA_TOOLS_OPTS=server check
> make EXTRA_TOOLS_OPTS=server installcheck
>
> If a compatible server is already available, it will be used and no new
> server will be started. If a server is started, it will be stopped after
> the test run completes.
>
> As part of this, there are some new client/server tools available:
>
> stap-find-or-start-server  -- starts a systemtap server on the local
> host, if one is not already available
> stap-find-servers [--all]  -- prints a list of available compatible servers.
>                               If --all is specified, prints a list of
> all available servers
> stap-start-server          -- starts a systemtap server on the local
> host and prints its PID
> stap-stop-server PID       -- verifies that the specified PID is a local
> systemtap server and stops it
>
> Let me know if there are any problems, comments or concerns,
> Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for updating.

I checked your changes on systemtap.spec and found all above tools
were included in systemtap package instead of systemtap-runtime.
stap-find-servers seems to be used by client. If so, please move it
to under "%files runtime" section.

And also, could you make clear what packages are required for those
server/client scripts?
As far as I can see, it seems that avahi-tools is needed for those
scripts. in that case, it might be better to add those packages to
"Requires:" in "%package runtime" section.

Best regards,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com