Re: pr4225 branch status

Hi -

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 02:18:32PM +0800, Sunzen Wang wrote:
> [...]
> I'd like to try experiencing this feature, and can't help wondering
> how to make it run.
>
> Should i purchase a rhel5?

As a Red Hat employee, I'm all for that! :-)
But really, a medium-recent fedora (7 or 8), or CentOS, should have a
suitable utrace built in.

> It surprises me that utrace+uprobes already live in its kernel, for
> it seems some instability problems has caused utrace to be moved out
> of mm kernel.

I believe instability was *not* a reason for that.  Since that time,
many parts of old utrace have been plopped into the linus tree.

> How about building on a kerne.org kernel?
> utrace patch is here: http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/
> latest uprobes patch is here(?)

Yes, that should work, but ...

> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2007-q2/msg00328.html

... uprobes has not been forward-ported to a more recent utrace+kernel
combination yet.  That important Work is under way.