Re: probing based on kernel source

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:36:29AM +0530, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:
> > So I suppose that stap returns a list of (kernel) addresses that might
> > be suitable to put the probe? If so, how can we know which one is
> > correct??
>
> Please try the suggestion.. it returns alternative line numbers not
> virtual addresses, and that, only if your specified line number can't be
> probed. In that case, you'll need to take the call which one of the
> alternatives is appropriate.

When did stap started doing this?  I don't recall it providing
alternate line numbers the last time I tried it.  Just as a gentle
reminder, if something requires using a development snapshot of stap,
it's good to mention that.  Some poeple are still using whatever
version of stap was packaged with their distribution.  (Remember, it
wasn't *all* that long ago that people could easily build stap at
least on some distributions, and when pressed, the party line was that
was the distribution's responsibility and users should use whatever
their distribution packaged up for them --- or switch to another
distribution.)

	   	    	     	  	- Ted