Re: probing based on kernel source

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:36:29AM +0530, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:
>>> So I suppose that stap returns a list of (kernel) addresses that might
>>> be suitable to put the probe? If so, how can we know which one is
>>> correct??
>> Please try the suggestion.. it returns alternative line numbers not
>> virtual addresses, and that, only if your specified line number can't be
>> probed. In that case, you'll need to take the call which one of the
>> alternatives is appropriate.
>
> When did stap started doing this?  I don't recall it providing
> alternate line numbers the last time I tried it.  Just as a gentle
> reminder, if something requires using a development snapshot of stap,
> it's good to mention that.  Some poeple are still using whatever
> version of stap was packaged with their distribution.  (Remember, it
> wasn't *all* that long ago that people could easily build stap at
> least on some distributions, and when pressed, the party line was that
> was the distribution's responsibility and users should use whatever
> their distribution packaged up for them --- or switch to another
> distribution.)

Hi Ted,

According to systemtap/Changelog,
---
2007-08-24  Frank Ch. Eigler  <fche@redhat.com>

        PR 4899
        * tapsets.cxx (dwflpp::has_single_line_record): Extended,
        abstraction violated.
        (iterate_over_srcfile_lines): Remove exactly line number match
        logic.  Improve error message to offered better-checked alternative
        line numbers.
        (query_srcfile_line): Whoops, pass scope_die down for statement("...")
        probes, to enable $target var processing.
---
>From here, maybe that feature was merged. And also,
---
2007-08-14  David Smith  <dsmith@redhat.com>
[...]
        * configure.ac: Version increase to 0.6 and checks for libcap
        availability.  Removed stp_check reference.
        * configure: Regenerated.
        * stp_check.in: Removed.
---
So, you can use it with stap version 0.6 or later.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com