Re: Unified tracing buffer

Steven Rostedt wrote:
But, with that, with a global atomic counter, and the following trace:

cpu 0: trace_point_a
cpu 1: trace_point_c
cpu 0: trace_point_b
cpu 1: trace_point_d

Could the event a really come after event d, even though we already hit event b?

yes, if event c is an interrupt event :-).

 cpu 0       cpu 1
            hit event d
hit event a
log event a
            irq event c
            log event c
hit event b
log event b
            log event d

so, I think if we really need to order events, we have to stop
irq right after hitting an event.

Anyway, in most case, I think it works, but as accurate as
synchronized-TSC if hardware supports it.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com