Re: Systemtap with kernel markers?

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 08:28:14AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> The marker interface code uses the Module.markers file generated by
> modpost to get a list of available markers.  Perhaps this file is not
> being found (in which case our code should emit a proper error
> message).  Can you find the Module.markers file by hand?  Can you try
> stracing stap to see if it found it?

Those markers aren't in Module.markers because the kernel subsystems
in question (ext4 and jbd2) weren't built as markers, but directly
linked into the kernel.  (As was discussed at the Linux Plumber's
conference, excessive use of modules wastes memory, TLB cache space,
and extends the boot time of the system.)

Is there a way to make stap support the use of markers compiled into
the kernel and not in kernel modules?

    	   					- Ted