Re: static user probes

Roland McGrath wrote:
helloprobes.d:
provider hello {
    probe printDemo(char*);
};

Is this part of dtrace script syntax, or is a "provider" file actually a disjoint syntax only used by the static-prep tool?

My understanding is that it is used as a static prep tool.
Collections of existing probes are known as providers, e.g. syscall provider, proc provider and pid provider.

What are the constraints on the types you can specify here? Anything that goes in a C99 prototype?

In script language, what type does "arg1" have? Is it just a scalar, or
could you do something to dereference that pointer?

Based on what I have read for anything other than integer arguments I believe that it is necessary to use the copyin() or copyinstr() subroutines to dereference the pointer.