Re: Newb: Probe My Application

"Hassan Radwan" <HassanR@avi.com> writes:

> [...]  I recently found out about systemtap and am still getting the
> hang of things. I'm interested in trying to use systemtap as an
> alternative to a debugger to probe my own program that I wrote. [...]

Great.

> [...] How do I tell systemtap that I'm interested in all methods within
> that one executable? [...]

If by "all methods" you mean "all functions", this would work:

  probe process("a.out").function("*") { log ($$parms) }

as would .statement("foo@file.c:333") {} and so on.  In time, we hope
to have special syntax for C++ apps.

The big proviso is that this "user-space probing" support currently
only works against a version of the kernel-side utrace API that is
somewhat obsolete and is only present in RHEL5 / CentOS / older Fedora
type kernels.  This should be fixed soon.