Re: Labrat reports for 2.6.27-RC snapshot tests

Hi Kris,

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:01 -0400, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:34:26PM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> << snip>>
> > There is some noise in the output because the script seems to not
> > understand some of the error messages when things fail. e.g.
> >
> >    FAIL  -> N/A   test - systemtap.samples/gtod.exp(gtod (0))
> >    [...]
> >    N/A   -> PASS  test - systemtap.samples/gtod.exp(gtod (300))
> >
> > It would be useful to keep either the kernel version or the systemtap
> > snapshot version constant between runs. It looks like currently both are
> > updated at the same time. Although it isn't completely clear, the
> > version is always reported as 0.7.1, it would be good to mention the
> > last git commit (as in stap -V).
>
> This is actually not something that can easily be solved without hardcoding
> test-specific logic to strip out dynamic content in these messages.  Since
> labrat is not a project-specific reporting system, implementing such hardcoded
> rules would be less desirable.  Also note that wiring this logic in a way
> that is not test specific is somewhat dangerous because you may end stripping
> out important information from the messages unless people are extremely
> careful in how they write the pass/fail messages.
>
> If there is a very strict convention (one that gets enforced) on how dynamic
> data is included in these messages, I can definitely look at implementing the
> logic to strip it out based on the established conventions.

"extra" output is always between brackets. You can filter on that.
You can get the git commit number with:
$ git rev-parse HEAD | sed -n 's/^\(.\{8\}\).*/\1/p'
You can get the git branch with:
$ git symbolic-ref HEAD | sed -n 's|^refs/heads/||p'
See also the git git_version.sh. That should all be pretty generic.

Cheers,

Mark