Re: Start of Systemtap Tapset Reference manual

Peter Teoh wrote:
not sure if my suggestion has any relevancy or unanticipated or not, but I will just describe it.

what i am proposing is: do the minimal work to create the documentation, maximize the consistency with that of Linux Kernel, so that UNIFICATION of systemtap with Linux Kernel source may one be possible.

I haven't thought about the issue of pulling the documentation into the kernel at this time. I was just thinking about the short term describing all the probe points and functions in systemtap in a manner that will keep up to date with changes in the tapsets. Trying to make it so the documentation isn't totally separated from the code.

However, with markers/tracepoints there will need to have this type of description in the kernel documentation. There are text files in Documentation directory: markers.txt and tracepoints.txt. When specific markers and tracepoints are put in the kernel those would certainly should end up in Documents/.

> How?

a. When create the documentation, for example, the current systemtap/doc always assumed that the entire subdirectory can be moved to become Linux Kernel's Documentation's subdirectory, perhaps "systemtap" as the name.

b. So when a user go to Linux Kernel source and enter "make htmldocs", or "make pdfdocs", a htmlized or pdf-ized document will be created under DocBook. Ie, there will be ZERO scripting effort from systemtap developer, and all existing infrastructure provided by Linux Kernel source's "script" subdirectory can be reused.

I was able to do a "make htmldocs" on some kernels to take a look at the html on Fedora 9 machine (needed to have a number of "xmlto*" packages installed). However, unsuccessful with the "make pdfdocs". I got the following error:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=60000].
\FlowObjectSetup ...x \csname x@\Label \endcsname
                                                  \@madelink \else \bgroup \...
l.342013 {9\p@}}
                0\endSeq{}\endNode{} for success, <\/ \Node%
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on kernel-api.log.
make[1]: *** [Documentation/DocBook/kernel-api.pdf] Error 9

Looks like I might be running into the internal limits. Are there workaround for that?

On a wider scale, the above can be generalized further. But I would like some feedback before venturing too far.

-Will