Re: Start of Systemtap Tapset Reference manual

Randy Dunlap wrote:

<snip>

I'd prefer that we move all debug/markers/tracing files to some Doc sub-dir,
like Documentation/debugging/ (or make up some other sub-dir name).

Having a subdir for marker/tracepoints makes sense.

<snip>

Looks like I might be running into the internal limits. Are there
workaround for that?

I haven't seen/found one, but I'd certainly like to. Some people have told me that make pdfdocs/psdocs works on some distros, but I haven't been successful with those lately. I verify current kernel-doc and Documentation/DocBook/*.tmpl files by using 'make htmldocs' or 'make mandocs'. The pdfdocs/psdocs problems are toolchain issues AFAIK. They need to be fixed, but I'm not the right person to do that. Or maybe I'll just remove those make targets...

The "make htmldocs" worked fine, so I may stick with that for the time being.

IIRC, Alan Cox did tell me one time how to get around that hash size problem, but I don't have that email now. I have reduced the size of kernel-api.tmpl somewhat and I'm considering doing more of that, but that's just another form of workaround, even if it makes some logical sense to split that <huge> file up.

The following URL has some insight on how to deal with this: https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=threaded&order=DESC&topic_id=54372&forum=11&move=prev&topic_time=1206539822

Looking at the opensuse kernel-docs spec file it adds some defines in the %prep:

cp -av /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf .
cat << EOF >> texmf.cnf
main_memory.pdfjadetex = 2500000
hash_extra.pdfjadetex = 70000
max_strings.pdfjadetex = 120000
save_size.pdfjadetex = 10000
EOF

Are you seeing this hash table size problem with an unmodified kernel-api.tmpl or only after you add systemtap entries to it? I'd say that systemtap info should be in a separate file, even if there is no hash table problem.

This was an unmodified kernel-api. I am not yet to trying to merge the systemtap documentation into the linux kernel document.

-Will