Re: Start of Systemtap Tapset Reference manual

Hi Will,

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 14:15 -0500, William Cohen wrote:
> > This weekend I played around this some more and created some patches to
> > use kernel-doc as method of encoding the documentation in the tapset files.
> >
> > kernel-doc1.patch  removes the old documentation method
> > kernel-doc2.patch  adds the kernel-doc
> > kernel-doc3.patch  revises the tapsets files to generate instumentation.
> >
> > To make the instrumentation need to go in the the build directory
> > doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference and do a "make" in there. It dodn't
> > currently install the resulting documtation any where.
> >
> > Comments on this series of patches would be appreciated.
>
> I have also placed the patches kernel-doc[123].patch at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/systemtap-doc/
>
> If you are interested in see what the output looks like, I made the current
> types of output available. The pdf is:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/systemtap-doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference/tapsets.pdf
>
> The html:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/systemtap-doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference/tapset/

Just a quick note on how it looks. I like the output. It is imho nicer
(less verbose) than the previous versions based on publican. The only
thing that would need some tweaking is the synopsis in the pdf version
it comes after the name with a lot of extra whitespace (but not the word
synopsis). In both the pdf and the html version functions are formatted
somewhat oddly with the closing bracket on their own line.

> The man pages are at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/wcohen/systemtap-doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference/

It might be a bit much to have a man page for each probe and function.
Is there a way to group them in sets based on tapset filename or the
chapter names for example?

Cheers,

Mark