Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

> >> At least, dtrace don't need debuginfo.
> >> On Solaris 10, kernel and all executable binary have own tracing purpose
> >> information in special elf section.
> >> it can't be stripped and gurantee exist although product application binary.
> >>
> >> http://blogs.sun.com/ali/entry/what_is_sunw_ldynsym
> >>

> >> Of cource, this approach indicate systemtap lost some feature.
> >> (e.g. above section don't have line number information and local
> >>  variable name information)
> >>
> >> but it is still useful for average tracing user.
> >
> > So the way is to include, by default, debug information we need into
> > kernel binary? Yes, that solves the problem, provided that they
> > (kernel developers) accept that.
> >

> The downside is that the kernel binary becomes much much bigger.

No.

I agree with full DWARF information is _very_ big.
but if we want only dtrace level tracing, tracing section is less than few mega byte.

Then, I suggest to implement restrected (dtrace level) tracing feature.
only the user of using debuginfo can do full tracing.

Actually, average tracing user don't need line number proving.