Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

William Cohen wrote:
For the case where oprofile data is being mapped back to lines in the source code debuginfo is needed. However, for the case just want to know which functions the code is spending time in oprofile doesn't use debugging information produced by -g; it just looks for the function locations in the code. Unfortunately, the strip operations used for binaries in distribution strip out all information from the binary leaving just the minimal executable bits, making the debuginfo the only place to get that information.

It would be nice if there was something between the extremes of a huge amount of information in the debuginfo or nothing at all.

Agreed, I think CTF which Frank commented is one possible candidate, right? I think we should involve gcc developers if we propose this kind of diet debuginfo. They might know a better way to do that.

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com