Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

Hi Roland,

Roland McGrath wrote:
> This will certainly be a test, as it comes in a context of less than 0.5
> of my time allocated to kernel work in the coming period that will cover
> at least the next one or two kernel merge cycles.  Progress on utrace
> has been regrettably slow this fall, and it will get even slower now
> without major collaboration.  (It so happens this refocusing of my time
> is intended to jump-start the DWARF size reduction work.  I won't deny
> this may well be "12-18 months out" for stable release deployments, but
> it can't even be that if it doesn't start sometime, and this is an
> approach to the debuginfo issues that most people other than Ted seem to
> agree could solve many important problems for systemtap.)

I'm interested in your work. Could you tell me your plan? Would you
develop a tool to reduce debuginfo like objcopy?

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com