Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I'm interested in your work. Could you tell me your plan? Would you
>> develop a tool to reduce debuginfo like objcopy?
>
> It's roughly along those lines.  The wiki at elfutils.fedorahosted.org and
> planning is taking place.

As far as I read the wiki, it seems that you'll make a tool to compress
debuginfo. Out of curiosity, how small would you expect that the tool
can reduce debuginfo? (Can we select(edit) how much info the dwarf
includes by that tool, or just use compressed format?)

By the way, if the development will take more than two years, it might be
belated, at last. Unfortunately, we are in a severe situation. I don't mean
that you give up the effort. Instead of that, I recommend you to run the
project with target users (for example, kernel developers and systemtap
developers), do rapid prototyping and embrace their feedbacks. It could
take more time, but you can continue to attract users and give us hope!

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com