Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

Hi Roland,

Roland McGrath wrote:
By the way, if the development will take more than two years, it might be
belated, at last.

I don't think I understood this sentence. I certainly would be much happier if we'd embarked on this work two years ago, but we didn't, and we have yet to really begin. The idea that it could take anything like two years of actual development on this to produce results seems just ludicrous to me, if that's what you meant. Unless the effort goes horribly awry, I'll know a great deal more concrete about it in a month, and the hope going in is to have quite a lot of it done in two months.

Would you mean you can release a usable prototype in two months if no trouble? Great! If so, I think it's enough short for us and kernel developers to use the tool.

Unfortunately, we are in a severe situation. I don't mean
that you give up the effort. Instead of that, I recommend you to run the
project with target users (for example, kernel developers and systemtap
developers), do rapid prototyping and embrace their feedbacks. It could
take more time, but you can continue to attract users and give us hope!

I don't know what it means to "run the project with target users".

Sorry about confusing you. I just mean that we'd better notify users who are suffered from huge debuginfo that there is a plan to make a tool which can compress the debuginfo (and they can use it soon). Unless that, we will waste time on finding another way to solve this issue :(.

The actual tool development is something for DWARF and toolchain
experts to do, and I don't expect kernel developers to devote their
time to that just because they would benefit from the deployment of
such tools (as will many other kinds of developers--this is not
solely for the benefit of systemtap).

Indeed, and at least there are some people who will receive benefit from that tool.

 Of course the project is open
to everyone who wants to contribute, and of course development of
new tools will be driven by the concerns of their potential users.

Sure, and that's a good news for "Frustrated" systemtap users.

Thank you for your work!

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com