Re: /usr/bin/staprun hardcoded in latest git

Hi Andi,

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 15:16 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> I updated to a recent git version of systemtap. One issue I noticed
> is that /usr/sbin/staprun is hardcoded somewhere in stap (I didn't find
> it with a quick grep in the source, but according to strings it is in
> stapio). I had it installed in /usr/local/bin
> and "stap" failed because it couldn't find /usr/bin/staprun.
> I worked around it with a symlink, but it should be probably fixed.

Thanks for the report. stapio gets staprun through:
const char *staprun = getenv ("SYSTEMTAP_STAPRUN") ?: BINDIR "/staprun";
So, you can also work around it by setting SYSTEMTAP_STAPRUN to your
local staprun. But BINDIR should default to '${exec_prefix}/bin' unless
you configure --bindir=/something/else. I am not sure how it could have
been set to /usr/sbin in your case. Maybe config.log gives a hint how
bindir was set?

> The other issue was that the new NSS dependency is somewhat
> annoying. I hope systemtap doesn't plan to descend further
> into DLL hell territory.

The NSS dependency is only needed for the client/server mode. It would
be good to have a configure --disable-stap-sever for those that don't
need it (or disable building it automagically when NSS isn't found).

Cheers,

Mark