Re: [TOOL] kprobestest : Kprobe stress test tool

Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 04:57:20PM -0400, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
This script tests kprobes to probe on all symbols in the kernel and finds
symbols which must be blacklisted.

Usage ----- kprobestest [-s SYMLIST] [-b BLACKLIST] [-w WHITELIST] Run stress test. If SYMLIST file is specified, use it as an initial symbol list (This is useful for verifying white list after diagnosing all symbols).

   kprobestest cleanup
      Cleanup all lists

How to Work ----------- This tool list up all symbols in the kernel via /proc/kallsyms, and sorts it into groups (each of them including 64 symbols in default). And then, it tests each group by using kprobe-tracer. If a kernel crash occurred, that group is moved into 'failed' dir. If the group passed the test, this script moves it into 'passed' dir and saves kprobe_profile into 'passed/profiles/'. After testing all groups, all 'failed' groups are merged and sorted into smaller groups (divided by 4, in default). And those are tested again. This loop will be repeated until all group has just 1 symbol.

Finally, the script sorts all 'passed' symbols into 'tested', 'untested',
and 'missed' based on profiles.

Note ---- - This script just gives us some clues to the blacklisted functions. In some cases, a combination of probe points will cause a problem, but each of them doesn't cause the problem alone.

Thank you,

This script makes my x86-64 dual core easily and hardly locking-up
on the 1st batch of symbols to test.
I have one sym list in the failed and unset directories:

int_very_careful
int_signal
int_restore_rest
stub_clone
stub_fork
stub_vfork
stub_sigaltstack
stub_iopl
ptregscall_common
stub_execve
stub_rt_sigreturn
irq_entries_start
common_interrupt
ret_from_intr
exit_intr
retint_with_reschedule
retint_check
retint_swapgs
retint_restore_args
restore_args
irq_return
retint_careful
retint_signal
retint_kernel
irq_move_cleanup_interrupt
reboot_interrupt
apic_timer_interrupt
generic_interrupt
invalidate_interrupt0
invalidate_interrupt1
invalidate_interrupt2
invalidate_interrupt3
invalidate_interrupt4
invalidate_interrupt5
invalidate_interrupt6
invalidate_interrupt7
threshold_interrupt
thermal_interrupt
mce_self_interrupt
call_function_single_interrupt
call_function_interrupt
reschedule_interrupt
error_interrupt
spurious_interrupt
perf_pending_interrupt
divide_error
overflow
bounds
invalid_op
device_not_available
double_fault
coprocessor_segment_overrun
invalid_TSS
segment_not_present
spurious_interrupt_bug
coprocessor_error
alignment_check
simd_coprocessor_error
native_load_gs_index
gs_change
kernel_thread
child_rip
kernel_execve
call_softirq

I don't have a crash log because I was running with X. But it also happened with other batch of symbols.

Thank you for reporting, here, I also have a result tested on KVM@x86-64.

native_read_tscp
native_read_msr_safe
native_read_msr_amd_safe
native_write_msr_safe
vmalloc_fault
spurious_fault
search_exception_tables
notify_die
trace_hardirqs_off_caller
ident_complete
lock_acquire
lock_release
bad_address
secondary_startup_64
stack_start
bad_address
restore_args
irq_return
restore
trace_hardirqs_off_thunk
init_level4_pgt
level3_ident_pgt
level3_kernel_pgt
level2_fixmap_pgt
_text
startup_64
level1_fixmap_pgt
level2_ident_pgt
level2_kernel_pgt
level2_spare_pgt
native_get_debugreg
native_set_debugreg
native_set_iopl_mask
native_load_sp0
debug_show_all_locks
debug_check_no_locks_held
valid_state
mark_lock
mark_held_locks
lockdep_trace_alloc
trace_softirqs_on
trace_hardirqs_on_caller
__down_write
__down_read
trace_hardirqs_on_thunk
lockdep_sys_exit_thunk

Most of them can be fixed just by adding __kprobes.
Some of them which are already in the another section, kprobes
should check the symbols are in the section.

The problem is that I don't have any serial line in this
box then I can't catch any crash log.
My K7 testbox also died in my arms this afternoon.

But I still have two other testboxes (one P2 and one P3),
hopefully I could reproduce the problem in these boxes
in which I can connect a serial line.

Thank you for helping me to find it!

I've pushed your patches in the following git tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/fgrederic/random-tracing.git \
	tracing/kprobes

So you can send patches on top of this one.

Great! I've found another trivial bugs, so I'll fix those on it.

Thank you,

-- Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@redhat.com